So Black Women’s Helath Imperative has an article called “10 Steps to Jumpstart Your Weight Management Program.” Here are the first five steps of the program:
1. Accept that weight management is an achievable goal: If you approach weight management with the concept that small steps will add up to make a big difference over time, then the idea of losing weight does not seem so complex.
2. Make a plan to succeed: Identify 10 food items that you currently purchase that you know are bad for you and that you can live without. Make a consistent plan to start eliminating 2 of these items each week from your grocery list.
3. Contact a nutritionist and make an appointment: Every individual should have a customized plan tailored to their age, weight, height, metabolism and activity level. This plan is best created with a professional who will dedicate time to working with you one on one.
4. Schedule regular exercise: Make it a goal to double the distance that you walk each day until you are walking at least 30 minutes each day.
5. Set realistic goals: Rapid weight loss that can’t be sustained only results in frustration. The goal should be to lose approximately 2 pounds every week. Depending on how much you choose to lose, over the course of a year this would result in a substantial amount of weight loss.
So what do you think about the advice?
Is there anything new here that you think will make a difference in your weight loss goals?
For me step #3 resonates since it has never occurred to me to meet with a nutritionist for a consult about my weight loss goals. A personal trainer – yes. A nutritionist – not so much.
So what, if anything, can you take away form these steps?